There are lots of great benefits that come with home ownership including an ongoing to-do list that always keeps you from being bored. We’ve listed some of the highest priorities for home maintenance and remind you there are some items here that are easily hired out. So in order of priority here is what we suggest.
- Get heating system ready for winter. Get the furnace serviced/inspected at least every other year and change out HVAC filters. Your furnace will run much more efficiently when it’s maintained.
- If you didn’t clean your chimney in the spring, do it now. Once a year is a good rule of thumb especially if you’re using it.
- Test smoke/carbon dioxide detectors. Another simple task; your detectors should have a “test” button. If the alarm sounds, you’re good to go. If not, replace batteries immediately and test again. If it still doesn’t sound, it’s possible there’s simply corrosion on the battery terminal, and it won’t detect new batteries. Clean it and try again. If it still doesn’t work, you’ll likely need a new detector.
- Gutters and Downspouts can ultimately impact your foundation so it is important that you keep them maintained and cleaned out. In fact, many of the water issues we see in basements are exasperated by ill maintained gutters. This is a job best hired out but the fall is a great time to clean them out and inspect and repair weak points.
- Outdoor Faucets: Shut off valves to outdoor faucets. Open spigots and drain, store hoses. Frozen hoses could result in a burst pipe.
- Clothes Dryer: Vacuum lint from ducts and surrounding areas and while you are at it, vacuum the coils behind the refrigerator too.
- Revive your lawn by overseeding. Fall is the perfect time to put down a layer of seed over those spots that are thin and brown.
Remember if you are ready to hire out some of these jobs, download our app of preferred vendors by searching your app store for “Group O’Dell”.